Oatmeal, egg, avocado, oh my!
With winter officially around the corner (never mind the summer like heat here in So. Cal right now!), I thought it was the perfect time to share a new favorite recipe of mine. If you have the Guiltless Nutrition | Lifestyle + Recipe Book, savory oatmeal breakfast bowl is nothing new, but if it is, I promise you’ll be as smitten as I am once you take one bite.
We usually think of oatmeal as sweet, but I wanted to switch it up and do a savory spin on oatmeal. Such a refreshing take that will warm you up and fuel you for a really great day ahead.
Savory Oatmeal Breakfast Bowl – serves 2
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups chicken broth
- ¼ cup shredded sharp cheddar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup spinach or arugula
- 1 sliced ripe avocado
- 2 sliced scallions
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Set up large bowl of cold water and ice, set aside for when eggs are done.
- Bring 3 inches of water to a boil. Reduce to a low simmer and gently add eggs in with a slotted spoon. Set a timer for 6 minutes for a super soft yolk (or 6 minutes 30 seconds for a slightly firmer yolk).
- Remove eggs and immediately plunge into ice water bath. Peel carefully.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring 2 cups chicken stock to a boil. Add oats, reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
- Divide oats between two bowls, top with eggs cut in half, avocado, scallions, greens cheese, and pepper. Enjoy!
*I love to add a little bit of Sriracha to my bowl to (literally) spice it up, too!
Most Important (and Delicious!) Meal of the Day
This bowl is such a great way to kick off the day. It will fuel your workout, keep you full and satisfied. Plus, it’s packed full of protein, good fats, and fiber, low in sugar, and it’s just yummy!
Here’s the breakdown of nutritional value per serving: 500 Calories, 31.4 g fat, 39 g carbs, 11.3 g fiber, 1.7 g sugar, and 19.6 g protein! 19.6 grams!
I love that it makes two servings (Ryan does, too!), since it’s just the perfect way to cozy up on a chilly morning. It feels like it fills up your tummy and your heart! So, give it a shot and let me know what you think!
Breakfast Fan? Me, too!
And, if you’re a big fan of breakfast like I am, I’ve got a whole lot of delicious, healthy recipes to share. I’ve shared 3 summer smoothie bowls here, some easy overnight oats here and here, and the mother-load of recipes in the Guiltless Nutrition Lifestyle and Recipe Book where I share TWENTY NINE (that’s right, 29!) breakfast recipes! Don’t forget the Hot Body Meal Plan that guides you through four weeks of revamping your whole diet.