Healthy Chicken Tortilla Soup is falls version of Taco Tuesday!
I can’t help it! I just LOVE soup!! I’ve been making my chicken tortilla soup for years and it’s always a hit. Honestly, you can’t go wrong. Spicy broth, shredded chicken, avocado, cilantro and lime! YES YES YES!
Like always, you can add as much spice as you want. I like LOTS of spice, but I kept the recipe on the “not so spicy” side for you so you can add as you like.
3 dried ancho or pasilla chile peppers
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 yellow onion, sliced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 28 -ounce can tomatoes
1 teaspoon ground cumin & 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 bay leaves
4 sprigs fresh thyme
2 bone-in chicken breasts
Optional ingredients & Toppings
- Remove the stems from the chile peppers first. If you don’t want it too spicy, also removed the seeds.
- Soak the peppers in hot water for 15-20minutes. Remove from the water and blend to make them into a puree.
- Heat oil in a pot adding onion and garlic. Sauté until union is translucent.
- Add the tomato, chile puree, cumin and paprika and stir occasionally for about 5 minutes.
- Add the two bone-in chicken breasts
- Add your broth, bay leaves and thyme and bring soup to a boil and immediately reduce to a very low simmer.
- Cover and cook about 1-1.5 hours or until chicken easily falls off the bone.
- Remove chicken from the soup and pull it off the bones with a fork.
- Discard the bones and add shredded chicken back into the soup
- If using black beans, add them back in and simmer additional 15minutes.
- Season with salt as needed.
- Serve in bowls and top with fresh cilantro, avocado, lime, a scoop of plain Greek yogurt and cotija if you’re using it.
Lazy Girl Version:
Even though it seems like a lot of steps, this recipe is super simple! That said, if you’re in a pinch and want to make it even faster, you can use enchilada sauce as your “puree.” Find a low sodium enchilada sauce and add it to the broth, then add your chicken etc.
Now go get your soup on! I know you girls are gonna LOVE this one!