Spring trends. Now that you’ve had a chance to get settled into your better 2018 habits, I have some new ones I want to share with you ladies.
First thing’s first. Self-care is essential! But you know that. The seeds were planted back in February with our Lots of Love Challenge, so this is old news, right?! Good. ?
Under the umbrella of self-care (and self-love ?), I bring you the trends you’ve gotta get in on ASAP this year!
The Ancient Romans knew a thing or two about a thing or two… including fabulous baths! Sure, a luxe bathhouse is one way to do it, and they’re popping up all over the place, so see if there’s one in your area! But don’t let the lack of one in your ‘hood keep you from caring for yourself. Nope!These wellness baths can take place in your own home!
Here’s one awesome way to enjoy a wellness (detox) bath:
Salt Detox Bath Recipe ?
- 1/4 cup Himalayan pink sea salt
- 1/4 cup epsom salt
- 1/4 cup baking soda
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar (make sure it’s “with the mother”)
- optional: favorite essential oils (I use 10 drops of peppermint or lavender, depending on my mood!)
- Boil a quart of water. Dissolve HPSS, epsom salt, and baking soda in it. Set aside. (You can do this in a jar, or for a quicker hack, just do it in a pan and bring the pan *CAREFULLY* along with you later!)
- Fill the tub with warm/hot water and add the ACV
- Pour salt mixture into the tub and add in essential oils, if desired.
- Soak in bath for a minimum of 30 minutes, or longer if desired. And feel BETTER after!
It’s important to note that with any detox bath, you may feel tired or lightheaded when you get out. Do not do this at home alone or before having to go somewhere, just in case you get too tired. I’m normally a fan of a glass of bubbly and a bath, but this is NOT the time for that.
This bath is amazing to sooth your skin, boost your magnesium levels (which most women are super deficient in!), and just generally detox your body.
Self-care for the win! ?
Speaking of detoxing… this one is self-explanatory, but how freakin’ needed is this!? I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in our digital world. I mean, the incredible LSF community is ALL online, so trust me when I say I get how hard but how necessary this detox is.
I feel like now there’s now such thing as just doing nothing. If we’re doing nothing, we’re probably already 5 minutes deep into the scroll-feed, right? So, how to detox from technology without having FOMO tremors?! ?
1. Start small. Micro-goals are your friend! Start with just saying , “I’m going to leave my phone in my car during our dinner out” and actually do it. At first, you’ll feel naked. But after dinner, when you’ve had a more meaningful, less interrupted dinner than you can remember in a while… well, you might just decide that occasionally it’s a good idea to leave your phone in the car!
2. Replace your screen time with something fulfilling. Don’t just let yourself sit there and feel like there’s some massive void from not going down the scroll-hole. Instead, find a book you’ve been meaning to pick up, or meet a friend for coffee, or take a bath and unwind. Or one of my personal faves: sweat it out! ?
3. Check in with yourself and make a plan. That doesn’t mean you should flush your phone down the toilet! I think the best take away from doing a technology-detox is figuring out how to be more present. And reminding ourselves how good some face time with your bestie can be! Not to mention that it’s totally do-able!
We’ve all heard about probiotics and, no, I’m not spelling them wrong. This year, it’s all about incorporating prebiotics! To get the most bang for your probiotic buck, and gut health, prebiotics are key!
Without getting overly technical, prebiotics are nutrients that your body can’t break down. Since they’re not digested, once they reach your gut, they become a source of fuel for the good bacteria living there.
Prebiotics are linked to tons of benefits including better gut health, improved digestion, lower stress response, better hormone balance, better immune function, lower inflammation, lower risk for cardiovascular disease, and more! Uh, sign me UP! ?
In the name of self-care, sign yourself up, too! It’s super easy to up your intake of prebiotics, since they’re found in foods you’re probably already eating like bananas (best when a bit underripe– so toss them in a smoothie!), onions (cooked or raw), asparagus (gotta be raw), or raw garlic.
Other sources that you should definitely incorporate include raw jicama (a totally underrated veggie that I love! So fresh and summery!), raw dandelion greens, or Jerusalem artichokes. My moringa smoothie is FULL of these guys, too. Expand your palate, and improve your health all at once!
There are so many other trends I’m itching to share with you gals, but I like to keep things bite sized and do-able so they stick! I’d love to hear your tips and trends you’re loving so far this year, so don’t forget to tag #TeamLSF if you give one of these a shot. Be sure to drop me a comment below! ?