The “why” behind this killer muscle recovery technique
They See Me Rollin’, They Hatin’…
I know when I first started out my fitness journey I had no idea what foam rolling was either, so you’re not alone, babe! The only person I even knew that foam rolled was a friend who was a marathon runner, so I assumed nah- I’m not that hardcore. Don’t need that. ?
Wrong. It took me a while to be Team Foam Roller, but now I’m a total convert and want you to get in on the goodness, too! Here’s whatcha need to know…
Why Foam Roll?
Your body needs it! I know when you’re done working out, you’re just usually doneeeee and sometimes you’re lucky to even get in a stretch sesh (which is so, so important so do NOT skip it! I beg you!). Now I want you to do another thing?! Yes. Sorry not sorry. ?
Here’s why: even though it might take an extra couple minutes of your time (literally- I’m talkin’ TWO minutes!) it has huge benefits. Stretching just isn’t enough! If you’ve got a knot in your hair, you can’t stretch it out, right? Ouch. Instead, you’ve gotta work at it piece by piece to untangle it. Same goes for your muscles. Foam rolling helps work out those knots and legit speeds up your recovery process.
?TLDR: 2 minutes foam rolling will help you feel better during your next workout sesh. Plus, you can scroll Insta while you roll, so… win-win.
I also shared my post-workout routine on YouTube this week! Check it out ? for a peek into what I do to help my body recover every single day.
Sounds too good to be true? It’s not.
Foam rolling helps your body recover, faster. It’s simple, really. Your body is covered in fascia which is the stuff that basically holds our bodies together. It’s a tough job being fascia.. so sometimes it gets sore, knotty, and well, just becomes a mess.
Foam rolling works out those knots and puts your fascia back how it should be. It restores fascia-factory-settings if you will. ?
Plus, it’s easy.
Top 5 Reasons to Roll
- Decreased soreness. No one likes being sore from working out– especially when it sets in a day or two later (called DOMS). Foam rolling can help a ton with this! If you’re not sore, you’re not skipping your workout… get it, girl!
- Increased flexibility. Foam rolling can help improve your flexibility and range of motion — so important in any workout, and especially when getting your yoga flow on. (A fave of mine for a LISS day!)
- Prevent injury. ‘Nuff said.
- Minimizing cellulite. Um?! If you’re not sold yet, I betcha are now! By helping to break up all the tiny knots in your muscles, foam rolling can make a big difference to the appearance of cellulite. (More tips on this over here…)
- Helps reduce stress! Uhm, yes, please! When you foam roll, you lower your cortisol levels. We already know that working out helps reduce stress, so add in some foam rolling and bam! Feel that stress just melt right off of ya! Plus, lower cortisol levels means less stress cravings and overeating…So basically foam rolling can help you lose weight too. I mean, the benefits just don’t end!
Two words: Spring. Slimdown. You’re about to kick your booty into high gear, girl! Now’s the time you’re gonna need a little extra recovery TLC.
If you haven’t signed up for Spring Slimdown, it’s not too late! We kick off Monday, so sign up now! Since it’s always more fun to get your sweat on with your girls, make sure to tell your besties about it, too! Pst: we’ve got some ah-maaazing prizes comin’ atcha. I’m talking Fabletics grand-prize winner and so many other awesome surprises, too! You’ll get all the deets when you sign up, so what are you waiting for?!
SPEAKING of awesomeness. I want you to slay this challenge, so I’m here with a little extra help and that means 15% OFF ANY LSF BUNDLE! ? The bundles are already discounted, so this is a helluva deal. Check them out here (or just click below!) and use code HELLSYAS checkout!
*Have questions about the guides, make sure you checkout the FAQ’s here!
…and get your roll on! I promise it’ll get you all prepped for the amazing challenge we have in store for you, babe! For some other great tips on how to get prepped for the Spring Slimdown, be sure not to miss the Challenge 101 post from yesterday.
Be sure to drop a comment below and let me know if you’re already Team Foam Roller and share some of your fave foam rolling tips with the newbies out there!