Okay ladies, summer is in full swing here which means sunny weather, pool parties, barbecues and fun-filled activities. Don’t think for a second that you have to skip out on continuing to enjoy summer to maintain the body you’ve worked so hard for. You can still sip cocktails by the pool without derailing your fitness goals. Check out some of my top tips to stay on track, plus a healthy cocktail recipe you can enjoy, all while creating a memorable summer.
Tip 1. Enjoyment doesn’t mean overindulging!
It’s important to remember that you don’t have to overindulge to enjoy yourself! Knowing your limits and cutting back in certain areas won’t take away from your life — actually it’s going to enhance it. It’s okay to treat yourself, but knowing your balance is essential to staying healthy this summer.
Tip 2. Pack healthy, satisfying snacks and stay hydrated
With a day or night of drinking, you will need two essentials: snacks and water. I’m sure we all know that alcohol dehydrates you, so making sure to drink with lots of water will keep you properly hydrated and avoid a hangover. And when the drunchies hit, having healthy snacks on hand helps from going straight to junk food. If you need some ideas of what healthy snacks to have ready, click here to check out our blog post with 10 of the best healthy snacks for on the go!
Tip 3. Choose your cocktails wisely
When picking out your summer cocktails, simplicity is key. Picking out simple and fresh ingredients to add to your drink are what will make your cocktails delicious and as healthy as possible.
Try our favorite low-calorie, summer cocktail recipe:
Here is what you will need:
- 1 cucumber
- 2-inch strips lemon zest
- 2 tsp monk-fruit sweetener or raw honey
- 4 ounces gin
- Tip: pick a botanicals gin instead of a piney one
- 1 ounce fresh lime juice
- Club soda
- Garnish with Mint or Basil for the finishing touch (and pretty look)
- Warm 2 tsp of monk-fruit sweetener or honey with 2 tsp of water to make a ‘simple syrup’. Set aside to let cool.
- Slice cucumber into small wheels.
- Zest 2 inch strips of lemon rind.
- Slice lime and squeeze 1 ounce worth of juice. Set aside.
- Muddle 4 small pieces of cucumber in cocktail shaker.
- Add lime juice, syrup, gin and ice. Shake vigorously.
- Pour over ice and top with a splash of club soda, lemon zest, and cucumber slices.
For more tips and tricks on what to eat check out our guiltless nutrition guide and recipe book. There are over 100 delicious recipes that will keep your health in check and give you the guidance needed to incorporate clean eating into your life. Or for a quick look into what we eat in a day to get bikini ready, click here for some quick changes you can make in you diet!