Best places to travel in Greece. If you’re looking to find a vacation destination that fully lives up to it’s Instagram image, Greece is it!
Before any big trip we do crazy research to find the best, non-touristy, beaches, restaurants and places to visit in search of a perfectly authentic experience. Greece did not disappoint and you have to checkout these hidden gems in Greece | Ios + Mykonos and how to stay fit while traveling!
This is a total bucket-list trip and Ryan and I brought you along with us to Ios + Mykonos so you could get a little taste of the Mediterranean too!
Hi Greece… I love you!
For me there are 3 Main things I look for in picking a vacation spot
- Somewhere with clear water, warm beaches and amazing views.
- Somewhere that makes it easy to stay fit while traveling.
- Somewhere that has fresh, healthy and DELICIOUS food!
Ios and Mykonos both far exceeded my expectations on all three of these. Uh… I die!
Before we dive into the cities, I have to tell you, you will do way less walking in Greece than in other European cities, but the stairs are no joke.
On my previous trips we would do a Hot Body Sweat Guide workout each morning plus walk miles a day, hence how I lost weight traveling last time.
In Greece we got in quick HBSG sessions, but other than climbing stairs all day, we didn’t get the miles in like before. My quads are on fleek right now though haha.
Luckily in Greece has healthy food is the norm. With the exception of bread and champagne at every meal (which I obviously enjoyed) it was pretty easy to stick to my Hot Body Meal Plan.
The food fresh, clean, REAL food! No heavy fried crap. I got down on tons of tomatoes, fresh grilled fish and tzatziki all day long.
3 Nights in Ios
Coming into Ios was everything you imagine for Greece. Beautiful still water, tiny little white buildings in the hills and a little fishing port to dock in.
It’s a small island with only about 1500 people and the best little village in the hills over the water. We didn’t know what to expect for Ios. Most people only ever talk about the Mykonos & Santorinis of Greece but we saw some INCREDIBLE photos of this lesser known island and knew we needed to explore. I’m so glad we did.
We rented an ATV and drove around this beautiful island and it was such an adventure! You guys have to watch to vlog to see the amazing beach we found!
Where to Stay
We stayed at Agalia. It is a beautiful boutique hotel overlooking the water and across from the harbor. Quite and peaceful with a ocean view plunge pool on our deck and delicious champagne breakfast!
Where to Eat
- Katogi – super cute dinner spot. Tapas
- Hellenic Social – Fun Aussie breakfast spot in the village
- Lost Boys Bar run by some rad Aussies living the dream in Ios. They helped us find the amazing hidden beaches like “Never Bay” in Ios.
- Koubara seafood restaurant
What to do
- Rent an ATV – A MUST!! There aren’t really taxis so ATV’s are the best way to get around and are only about $20 per day! Plus since it’s a smaller town there isn’t any traffic or worry driving around.
- Never Bay – Past Maganari beach and you definitely need an ATV! Ps.. “Never Bay” is a made up name. This place is so secluded it’s not even on the map.
- Maganari beach – beautiful beach with chairs and bars you can spend the day at.
Pathos – Best sunset spot in all of Ios, You have to go to see the architecture and design of this place too. So artsy!
5 Nights in Mykonos
Mykonos has tons of little hidden gems around and is total Instagram heaven! Every corner you turn here is another blue painted staircase and perfectly trimmed bougainvillea across a patio terrace.
Where to Stay
Cavoo Tago was amazing! It’s a bit larger of a hotel that overlooks the port. We had a HUGE room with a private infinity pool and deck with full ocean view.
We had dinner with some friends we made at the hotel one night and it was bomb! Full sushi and fresh fish menu so this girl was happy happy happy! It rained on our last day here so I got a blowout at the salon with Dimitri and it was a perfect way to spend a gloomy morning.
Ryan and I don’t like to be in one place too long so on our third day we moved over to the Grace Hotel Mykonos for a little change of scenery.
It’s the cutest luxury boutique hotel and just down the road a bit from the port. It sits up on a hill overlooking a small private beach with beautiful ocean views. It was nice getting to look out of our balcony and not see giant cruise ships, just gorgeous water.
We experienced Grace breakfast for the first time here in Mykonos and were so happy to have 4 more days of it in Santorini. It’s SO good! Guys – it’s a 5 course champagne breakfast with things like fresh fruit smoothies, plain greek yogurt, poached eggs with spinach and tons of other HEALTHY courses. I probably didn’t need to eat all 5, but it’s vacation
Where to Eat
- The Grace Restaurant I normally don’t stay at my hotel to eat, but when it’s one of the best in Mykonos I do! They have incredible food for all meals, but serious Greek-fusion gastronomy for dinner and perfect cocktails too!
- Eva’s Garden has adorable outdoor seating for dinner.
- Grab drinks at Interni
- M Eating is awesome for dinner. It’s modern Green food with an amazing chef. On the pricey side, but totally worth it.
- Drinks at Queen Champagne Bar. It’s tiny, but they set up tables and people fill the streets as they sip and chat.
- Late afternoon lunch at Stasi Gyros. BTW it’s prounounced “Yee-Ros.” We had on ongoing debate about this throughout the trip haha. I always thought they were only made with lamb and I was so confused when we went to the spot and they only had pork and chicken. I did find spots later with lamb though so I’m not totally crazy! FYI they put fries in all the gyros. I picked out a ton, but left one or two in the name of authenticity! I didn’t want to offend
What to do
- Walk around Little Venice and make sure to grab plain Green frozen yogurt. It’s so ridiculously good and I love that that don’t add sugar! It’s tart and REAL, as it should be!
- Scorpios– This is one of the nicest beach clubs in Mykonos. There are several to chose from like Nammos or Alemagou, but I would absolutely recommend coming here. Nommos is a little to “Sceney.” You pay for a day bed and towels and can have drinks and incredible food delivered to you while you lay out or dip in the bay. Plus they have live music in the evenings and fun themed parties too!
- Pool with a view – If you do nothing else, make sure you either get a room with a private pool OR stay at one of these amazing hotels with an infinity pool overlooking the ocean. It’s Greece and you may only do it once, so do it right!
If you’re getting ready to book your tickets, just wait! We will be uploading Greece Hidden Gems Part 2 soon! The vlog will go up on YouTube next week and I’ll add the blog here featuring Santorini! It truly deserved it’s own space. Un-REAL!